It is that time of year when relationships are most cherished, gifts are exchanged, and we focus on others more than ourselves. So why not keep that spirit working all year round?
TOP FIVE SALES TIPS for EXHIBIT SALES MANAGERS
(Lessons from the holidays)
1. Serve the greater good. Holidays today are too commercialized and we often get caught up in the small details and lose sight of their true meaning. The same thing goes for exhibit sales. Although it is important to focus on tasks, goals, and sales that get the job done, it is even more important to step back and look at the bigger picture. It is more important to consider how we can help our team, our exhibitors, and our event be more successful. It is more important to do what is right for the whole, than what is right for the individual. And it is more important to develop a vision that everyone on your team can believe in for the success of your future.
2. Do not be selfish. Holidays, birthdays, and special occasions are a time of giving. It is natural to give unselfishly to show we care during these special times. So why can’t we run our business the same way year round? Not to say that you should sacrifice profits or give your products or services away, but in today’s society people do not want to hear a one sided “sales pitch” where it is all about you. Customers need you to listen, to care, and to help them succeed. Being a good salesperson means being a consultant, sharing your knowledge, and advising them on the right products or services for them. If it means sending them away or making a smaller sale to put your prospect in the right product, that is okay. It would be wrong to sell them something beyond their means just to make a few extra bucks.
3. Develop positive relationships. Have you heard the quote: “Trying to get without first giving is as fruitless as trying to reap without having sown.” by Napoleon Hill? Before you can sell anything to anyone, you need to gain their trust. In the exposition business it is no different. The events business is all about who you know and what do they think of you. Nothing is more powerful than a positive referral from a happy customer, partner, exhibitor, etc.
4. Do more than expected. Who doesn’t love a surprise? One of the best ways to build relationships and grow your business is by going out of your way, doing something more than what is expected, and showing you care. A birthday card, a baby gift, or a get well card adds a personal touch. A referral, recommendation or introduction of two of your valuable contacts or resources builds credibility and trust. Sharing case studies, tips, and expertise makes you valuable.
5. Give thanks. Through the year (and throughout each show cycle) there are many people whom, without their support, you would not have succeeded. These people worked hard for you, they gave their time, their expertise, their energy, and their money. From co-workers to partners, sponsors, speakers, exhibitors, etc…taking time to thank them combines all of the other lessons above. It shows you care and develops positive relationships. Whether you send a gift basket, a card signed by your team, or a simple email…any gift of thanks and recognition is appreciated and can make a lasting impression.
THANK YOU to you and your team…from a2z. May your New Year be merry and bright!