I have attended many events from many perspectives. I can tell you, Twitter has forever changed how I interact with everyone at shows. The new things that I have felt empowered and enabled to do since embracing Twitter and the event hashtags means that now I can:
- Reach reporters or bloggers, and invite them to my booth for a special announcement
- Monitor what’s happening in other sessions than the one I am in, to see if I would gain more by switching rooms
- Announce contests and draw specific people
- Keep an eye on what my competitors are doing
- Determine which exhibitors are trying to engage with me and which are trying to promote to me
- Alert a colleague, partner or friend if I am running late for a meeting
- Locate online friends for Tweet ups to meet up face to face
- Build better, stronger relationships and interactions with key industry leaders
- Follow along and know what’s happening at an event that I was unable to attend, but am able to get as-it-happens news from those on site
- Post questions and seek answers from fellow attendees
Some popular event industry hashtags to follow or particpate in online chats include #tradeshows, #engage365, #assnchat, #expochat, #eventprofs, #events and (shameless self promotion) #a2zusergroup.
So are you using hashtags? What’s the biggest benefit you’ve been able to glean from them?