If you are going to spend thousands of dollars investing in a booth at an exposition, then do it right! Hit the show hard with a strong marketing plan and you can be the booth that everyone is talking about and everyone wants to be at.
There are three simple rules that must apply to everything you do. Be HEARD, be SEEN, and be ENGAGING!
Be HEARD: Before the show begins, make sure your existing customers and new prospects know exactly what you have to offer at your show.
1. Set up your eBooth with valuable content such as company description, product listing, press releases, show specials, videos etc. (Talk to show management about this option.) Over 70% of attendees will do their research online before the show and will create a plan for the booths they want to visit.
2. Send out email campaigns to existing clients and tell them about new products you will be showcasing, client contests you are running, or social events you are sponsoring.
3. Send out email campaigns to attending prospects (you can usually purchase this list from event management) and send out emails inviting prospects to your booth, introducing them to what you do and why they should stop by, or inviting them to any contests or social events you are sponsoring. NOTE: Be sure you work with a designer on your email to make it visually stimulating, fun, and engaging! Attendees get flooded with exhibitor emails and you want yours to stand out!
4. If there is an opportunity to have your products or services showcased in a session, on a stage, in a case study or press release…make it happen!
5. Create a social media plan to get your booth noticed on Facebook or Twitter. Assign someone in your booth to post tweets about fun, newsworthy activities during the show using the event hashtag and your own company hashtag.
Be SEEN: If you dress like everyone else…you will blend in and disappear. Be different! Stand out! Here are some ideas to do that.
1. Have everyone on your team wear the same bright colored shirts (in your company color) everywhere and every day your are in town before, during and after the event. This will establish your presence and get you noticed.
2. Give out something fun and visual that everyone would wear or walk around the show floor with. This will help your brand reach people beyond your social circle and create buzz.
3. Take pictures of your team having fun at events, in your booth, with clients, etc. Post these pictures on Facebook and Twitter using the event hashtag and tag everyone in the picture.
Be ENGAGING: The key to a successful event is getting attendees to engage with you. Here are some examples of engaging activities.
1. Before and during the show, pass out special contest cards or tickets to attendees inviting them to stop by your booth to enter a contest. (Be sure to only give these to attendees who are wearing the attendee badge category you are targeting.)
2. Ask your existing clients to introduce you to other attendees. Tell your existing clients that for every person they bring to your booth (that is not already a client) you will put their name in a drawing to win a iPad or some other gadget of choice that you are giving away.
3. In your booth set up a game, photo kiosk, or interactive experience. Whatever you do, make it engaging, fun and part of social media. Contests might ask attendees to “LIKE” your Facebook page or “FOLLOW” you on Twitter. Others might be asking attendees to have their picture taken in front of your booth and company logo and whomever gets the most likes and shares could win something. Get creative and make it fun!
The overall goal is to make sure EVERYONE knows who you are, where you are, and why they should stop by your booth. YOU want to be the center of attention and be the BUZZ everyone is talking about! Good luck!
Other related articles: